Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Behemoth Cover

Scott Westerfeld shared the UK cover of his upcoming book Behemoth (sequel to last year's Leviathan) on his blog today. I love it! It almost makes me wish I was in the UK, because I prefer it to the American cover. I love the Darwinist elements -- the tusks and tentacles -- which mirror the Clanker gears on the Leviathan cover. I'm not crazy about the US cover for Behemoth. I think the photo-realistic style used on the cover counteracts the lovely ink illustrations in the novel, in a bad way. The two have drastically different looks, most noticeably in the skies: the UK cover has a clear, sunny sky, while the US cover has a dark, stormy sky. I'll definitely be interested in seeing which the tone of the book seems to match. Which cover do you prefer? (Left, UK cover; right, US cover)


That said, I'm eagerly anticipating the release of Behemoth (October 5), because Leviathan was just fantastic! But cover art is so interesting to me, and very important to me as a reader. Expect to see more posts discussing cover art on this blog, and a review of Behemoth when it comes out!

No comments:

Post a Comment